Saturday, January 06, 2007

It's The Little Things That Count

New Dalek

Tough on Thals, tough on the causes of Thals
Ganon G3 plus adaptor and +4 close up lens, macro mode, f5.6 @ 1/8thsec


After covetously eyeing macro lenses for my D50 on the web, it occurred to me it would be a better idea to rescue my old Canon G3 compact from the loft, since it has a decent macro mode on it (especially when coupled with the lens adaptor and a +4 close up lens.)

This effort's a wee bit blurry, due mostly to my enthusiasm for a new idea leading me to try and handhold a macro shot at 1/8th sec. (never a good idea). The "new idea" was to try using the visualiser on my copy of iTunes as a back projection for my new toy Dalek. The effect worked pretty well, but the need to balance light sources meant that I couldn't use optimum brightness for the toy Dalek without bleaching out the LCD screen behind (you can see some slight light spill at the edges of the frame).
If I had it to do again, I'd shoot the Dalek against a green screen, record the iTunes pattern separately, and composite them in Photoshop. In the time it took me to get this, I could have had a choice of Dalek poses against a variety of backgrounds. Perhaps I'll come back to it.

No comments: