Sunday, December 31, 2006

Edinburgh Torchlight Procession

Passing St.Giles Cathedral

Procession passing St.Giles Cathedral - Sigma 18-50 f2.8 zoom @ 18mm or so.
The Sigma zoom is a bit soft at the corners wide open, but it's so lightweight and
compact that I will actually carry it all the time.

On the way home from town the other night, after a meet-up with Graeme Reid, (a regular of my other blog), I was cut off from home by the annual torchlight procession - and with only my Fuji E550 compact, my SLR and three lenses to hand! What could I do but keep shooting until my cards were full?

Looking Towards The Castle

Luckily, I was carrying my old 85mm f1.8 lens, which is an excellent fast telephoto, except that it's prone to internal reflection from bright light sources - note the green ghosting from the torches in the top quarter of the frame.

Because I normally carry a fast mid-range zoom and a fast prime telephoto, I could shoot in the available light coming off the torches - it was bright enough to handhold even the 85mm lens at ISO 800, which gave usable results without needing noise reduction.

No comments: